Poultry Workshop – On Saturday, June 12, in addition to workshops for large market animal, there will be a poultry workshop from 9:15 – 10:00 a.m. in the rabbit/poultry barn at the Fairgrounds in Weyauwega. Evan, an older youth in the poultry project, will lead the workshop about selecting meat birds, washing and preparing for show, and how to do showmanship (if time permits). This workshop will count as an educational point for small market animal. Pre-registration is requested by completing this short google form by June 9 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSceoY2LxcAEvdrlrX_M5UhhOrEPBRBN2GyqqH8c-DzRD93o8g/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0
- Rabbit Fun Show – Mark your calendars – the small market animal committee is also planning to hold a rabbit fun show on Saturday, July 17. More details to come about this opportunity.
- Poultry Free Webinar Series – On behalf of our Agriculture colleagues, UW-Madison, Division of Extension, is offering a free webinar series designed to assist home and small scale poultry producers in their management endeavors. The series will take place on Wednesday evenings between May 12 and June 2, with each event beginning at 7 p.m. The live discussion events will feature the opportunity to ask questions of presenters.
- The four sessions in this series will focus on these topics:
- May 12 = Small flock meat chicken management
- May 19 = Small laying flock management
- May 26 = Small scale commercial poultry management
- June 2 = Ducks, Turkeys, Guineas, and other non-chicken poultry
Discussion will be led by Ron Kean, UW-Madison, Division of Extension Poultry Science Specialist. Kean will showcase management techniques and tactics that create healthier flocks and more efficient management practices for the type(s) of production focused on that evening. Legal parameters involved in raising and selling poultry or poultry products will also be discussed, and will be a focal point during the May 26 event oriented toward small scale commercial producers. Participation in any, or all, of the events in this series is free, but registration is required ahead of the event, by visiting https://go.wisc.edu/poultryseries2021 If you have any questions about these webinars, you can contact Scott Reuss, Marinette & Oconto Counties’ Agriculture Agent with UW-Madison, Division of Extension, at email@example.com or 715-732-7510.
- Poultry Repeat Offerings: May 4, 2021 (Register by April 27th) and May 17, 2021 (Register by May 10th) A second round of statewide poultry meetings are now open! These are repeat sessions from March due to the popularity. Each session is limited to 60 youth, registration closes 1 week before the session. Hope to see you there!
- Poultry Biosecurity and Health May 11, 2021 Join us for a Poultry biosecurity and health session May 11! Register now in 4HOnline. Open to youth in grades 3-13, limited to 60 participants.
- Shawano County Poultry and Small Animal Swap – May 15, 2021
After you complete the google form linked above for small market:
*A packet of materials will then be mailed to you.
*A virtual zoom meeting will be held on Monday, March 22 at 7:00 p.m. to review the sale rules and materials. The youth or a representative for them is expected to participate in the zoom call. Zoom connection information will be included in the mailing and emailed to you after you register for small market. (please note this date was changed from March 15 due to a scheduling conflict)
*If you are not able to be on the March 22 zoom call, you are required to email firstname.lastname@example.org and a recording of the zoom will be emailed to you. There will be a few questions you need to answer showing you watched the recording and this is due by March 29.
*March 29 is the final day to qualify for the small market animal sale opportunity for this year.
Poultry Educational Opportunity
A2880 Poultry Breeds and Variety [Revised in 2018 to include new standards (20 pages; 2018).]